21st January 2020: After careful consideration, the committee has decided that BADCOT should be wound down over the coming months.
The full reasons for the decision are given below but it is mainly because we have such thriving communities in the LS29 area that the needs which prompted the original founding of BADCOT in 2002 are being met elsewhere or no longer exist.
A letter has been emailed to all BADCOT members today explaining the timeline for their existing membership benefits. Any member not in receipt should please contact Hon Secretary Chris Hunt on firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note this website will post minimal updates for the next few months before closing at the end of the year.
We thank all our members and partnership organisations for their support and participation over the years. BADCOT has been hugely successful and over nearly two decades has been the driving force behind a raft of initiatives, including the very popular Burley Christmas Market of course. It has also donated thousands of pounds to local causes.
Finally, we are sure people will join us in thanking, in particular, BADCOT’s co-founder Roger Charnley, Angela Pickard, our Honorary Treasurer since its formation and former long-serving committee member, Les Cousins, whose hard work and commitment to encouraging people in LS29 to work together has been inspiring.
Thank you and best wishes for the future to all LS29 businesses and community organisations!
Reasons for BADCOT closure
- The formation of free online and face-to-face networking group, Burley Business Group (BBG)
- The formation of Burley Parish Council in 2006 and the growth of the Burley-in-Wharfedale Community Trust (BWCT) – when BADCOT was formed there was no single body representing Burley.
- The growth of Ilkley Business Forum (IBF) to offer monthly meetings with speakers, annual awards and other initiatives.
- The handing over of Burley Christmas Market organisation to the BWCT in 2018.
- That members now have their own websites and social media accounts, reducing need for BADCOT website.
- Difficulty in finding new committee members and for non-retired committee members to find time to run BADCOT activities alongside their businesses and family commitments.
- Low attendance of members at events organised by BADCOT, IBF and Welcome to Yorkshire.